Version for Telligent Community 5.0?

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM
This looks great. Has anyone tested it in Telligent Community 5.0? If not, I may have to try to port it myself, so any information would be helpful.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Hi,

I have no license for Tellingent Community 5.0 so I never saw the installed files.

You can try to reproduce the steps I described here: http://blog.nunogomes.net/post/2010/03/31/ASPNETControls_CommunityServer_Captcha_ControlAdapter.aspx.

Meanwhile you could send me a snapshot of bin folder content to check if the structure is similar.

Jun 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Hey, any updates on it being used with Telligent Community 5.0/5.5? I can go ahead and try but just wanted to know... Thanks, Ghanshyam
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM
Hi Ghanshyam, no updates available. mmezzacca didn't sent me the Tellingent Community 5.0 binaries. Go ahead and let me know about your progress or if you need some help.. NGomes
Jun 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM
Hi nmgomes,

I am just wondering why did you go the ControlAdapters route when Telligent Community has the Widget model now. (Not sure that it was from 2008.5 version though.) I am planning to try and build a widget which can be used on any page by the Admin. Do you see any issues in that approach?

Thanks,
Ghanshyam

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM, nmgomes <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Ghanshyam, no updates available. mmezzacca didn't sent me the Tellingent Community 5.0 binaries. Go ahead and let me know about your progress or if you need some help.. NGomes

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ngcsextensions@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ngcsextensions@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Aug 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Hi Ghanshyam,

sorry for this late answer.

The main goal of ControlAdapter is to allow render adjustment to a specific Control, and this can be done with configuration changes only.

My goal was precisely to change the way how several Community Server controls render in order to add the captcha behavior.

With my approach I don't need to know all about the Community Server application I only need to identify the pieces that need to be changed and ensure no side effects will be introduced.

About your question, I think widgets should be used to add new functionalities and not to extend existing ones. In my scenario I would need to ensure that the widget will be loaded in all specific pages, this means I would need to know specific details about application pages.

So, I don't see any issues with your approach but if you provide any extra detail about your widget main goal I could express a more accurate opinion.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:25 AM
Hi nmgomes,

I was infact able to build the widget and even use it in couple of places. But the problem with TC5 is that the widget operate independently i.e. in case of captcha, it would make sense that the capthca appears before the submit button and as part of for e.g. registration form. Widgets cannot achieve this since they can be placed only alongside/above/below etc of other widgets.

However, your approach makes sense as it allows me to render exactly at the place I want the captcha to appear! Thanks for it and source since I was able to customize it as per my needs and use integrate with my existing version of recaptcha!

It is now part of one website which we deployed recently.

Thanks,
Ghanshyam

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:02 PM, nmgomes <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Ghanshyam,

sorry for this late answer.

The main goal of ControlAdapter is to allow render adjustment to a specific Control, and this can be done with configuration changes only.

My goal was precisely to change the way how several Community Server controls render in order to add the captcha behavior.

With my approach I don't need to know all about the Community Server application I only need to identify the pieces that need to be changed and ensure no side effects will be introduced.

About your question, I think widgets should be used to add new functionalities and not to extend existing ones. In my scenario I would need to ensure that the widget will be loaded in all specific pages, this means I would need to know specific details about application pages.

So, I don't see any issues with your approach but if you provide any extra detail about your widget main goal I could express a more accurate opinion.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ngcsextensions@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ngcsextensions@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Hi Ghanshyam,

I'm glad this code was usefull. What's the nature of your changes and costumizations? If you had those needs maybe someone else need that to.

Meanwhile, did you notice that I added suport to the latest Recaptcha API release (v1.0.4.0)?

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:50 AM
Hi nmgomes,

Not sure whether it would be helpful for others or not. I had a wrapper over the actual recaptcha asp.net plugin and this was a usercontrol based on TemplateControl of CS 2.1 using which a skin file (basically a .ascx file) could be dynamically loaded. This approach is followed in all CS 2.1 and since I did not want to change much of the wrapper, I had to modify the provider to instantiate the wrapper instead of the recaptcha control directly. The skin file allows us to change the custom theme, properties, etc without changing any code while instantiating the recaptcha.

I think these changes might be specific to our scenario. (This is for our corporate websites, so I may not be able to share the exact codebase, but I can share sample could if need be.)

I will surely checkout the latest API release and support to it!

Thanks again for the code!

Regards,
Ghanshyam

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:39 PM, nmgomes <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Ghanshyam,

I'm glad this code was usefull. What's the nature of your changes and costumizations? If you had those needs maybe someone else need that to.

Meanwhile, did you notice that I added suport to the latest Recaptcha API release (v1.0.4.0)?